The New Year is upon us. Here are 10 tips to ensure you and your business have a successful 2020
1. Write down your goals; It is said that goals are much more effective when they are written down. Writing your goals down not only forces you to get clear on what, exactly, it is that you want to accomplish, but doing so plays a part in motivating you to complete the tasks necessary for your success. Break your goals down into actionable things
2. Start; How much longer will you wait to make the first step? The way to get started is to quit talking and start doing. Ideas are worthless without execution. Launch at 80%, don’t wait for perfection. If you wait forever, well, you’ll be waiting forever.
3. Be Passionate; Thomas J Watson said, “To be successful, you have to have your heart in your business and your business in your heart”. There is a role for heart in everything we do. That passion — the fire that burns in our belly — is the reason we get up each day to keep striving, winning and succeeding. Don’t listen to your doubts, listen to your future
4. Be Consistent; Consistency is a must as you build and grow your business. Don’t try to be perfect. Just try to be better than you were yesterday. Your success can be found in your daily routine, don’t forget that baby steps will move you forward. Pay attention to the consistency of your daily action. Do what you do today to be the person you want to be 10 years from now. Enjoy the journey, there is joy in the process
5. Keep intelligent company; The saying that you’re the sum of your five friends is both a lovely and terrifying thought. The truth is, if you hang out with 4 thieves, you’ll be the 5th. If you hang out with 4 smart people, you’ll be the 5th Smart person. You need to define your friends and support network; your inner circle (3-5), those in your outer circle, those who you need to get in your circle, and those who need to get out of it. Be intentional about regularly meeting them
6. Read; Read as much as possible, but be intentional about the books you read. Keep learning by studying other successful businesses. Reading as much as you can doesn’t actually mean only reading things directly related to your field. Reading triggers your subconscious brain. If you keep it engaged it actually keeps working behind the scenes!
7. Be Resilient; Mike Tyson once said, “Everybody has a plan, until they get punched in the mouth.” As an entrepreneur, you need to roll with the punches. Don’t give up when things get hard, get creative instead. Tough times will actually make your TED talk more interesting
8. Be Valuable; What makes you valuable? Value is a reference to the things you and I do that people or businesses will actually pay for. People earn more because they decide to earn more. You want to earn more? Become valuable
9. Manage your finances; Managing your money takes time to understand and to improve on. It also takes commitment and a solid understanding of your financial situation. Don’t spend any money until you’re making money
10. Have fun, create your own happiness; Include the little things you love into your day-to-day life. It could be going for a movie or a walk at the beach. Happiness is a state of mind that is created from within, it is not given to us